The Middle-watch is the most essential piece of Middle-gear a Middleman could have. It allows wireless communication between the wearer and Ida as well as anyone else who may have a Middle-watch. It also allows the Middleman and Ida to track down the wearer, no matter where they might be. Among its functions is the ability to send an alert message to headquarters.
The Middle-Watch's tracking and alert properties have been employed on several occasions:
- In The Pilot Episode Sanction, Wendy signals the alert after discovering a banana peel (evidence Spanky's presence) in her apartment.
- In The Manicoid Teleportation Conundrum, the Middleman gives his own Middle-Watch to Dr. Newleaf, ostensibly as a "token of trans-species understanding", though it is actually to track him if he is kidnapped. Later, the Middleman tracks down Wendy and saves her from Dr. Gil by tracking her Middle-Watch.
- In The Ectoplasmic Panhellenic Investigation, just after being "captured" by Ali, Wendy sends an alert signal to the Middleman to rescue her.
- In The Obsolescent Cryogenic Meltdown, the Middleman tracks Wendy to Lord Jeremiah Purcell's nefarious mansion by her Middle-Watch.
- In The Clotharian Contamination Protocol, the Middleman tells Wendy about a "Code 47," during which a pre-recoerded message is transmitted from the Middle-Watch via a burst of microwaves if a Middleman dies in the line of duty.
- In The Vampiric Puppet Lamentation, the Middleman secretly slips his Middle-Watch to the auctioneer controlled by Little Vladdy to track him.
In the seldom-seen Middleman Retirement Ceremony, retiring Middleman Guy Goddard is given a golden watch. It is not clear whether this watch possesses any of the communication or tracking properties of a Middle-Watch, or if it is simply a timepiece.